Pop into our tent in MINDFIELD where we will be exploring new perspectives through visual adventures, LED creations, futuristic Galactic Farms and invisible photo shoots in this year’s wonder inducing line-up for Electric Picnic 2016.
We’re taking aspects of our current show, SEEING, on the road and bringing you the best of an exhibition that questions how eyes, brains, and robots see. At our tent in Mindfield, you can try out a range of experiences including D-EYE, a sophisticated lens that attaches to a smartphone to take pictures of your retina, or try on glasses that simulate the experience of colour blindness.
Open your mind at our festival favourite, Ignite, and be inspired by these high energy, fast paced, fun, five minute talks that take a look at weird and wonderful topics such as the tradition of building human towers, dolphins as thugs, online violent extremism and songs about oscillators.
Andrew Douglas, creator of Urban Farm, will host a panel discussion, Urban Farming Unearthed, featuring Jeff Parnell and Melissa Moore of Galactic Farms. They will delve into their latest innovative work on urban agriculture projects, such as solar powered hydroponic greenhouses and utilising space industry technology.
Get into the maker spirit while you’re at Electric Picnic, with opportunities to make your own latte art, pinhole viewer and personalised badges – and more in between! MAKESHOP will be on hand to teach you all the maker hacks you need to know and help you light up the way back to your tent with some techy gadgets you can build yourself. Pick up some farming hacks to take home and help us build fractal pyramids that will grow in size over the weekend.
12.00 – 14.40: HANDS ON! Workshops and interactive demos
15.00 – 15.50: Ignite: Cabaret of inspiring 5 minute talks
16.00 – 16.50: Urban Farming Unearthed
17.00 – 17.50: Science Gallery Dublin's Table Quiz
FULL EVENT DETAILS
12.00 – 14.40: HANDS ON!
Science Gallery Dublin will be performing hands-on interactive demos throughout the day, and offering workshops for those of you who are feeling creative, including:
- MINDBALL: Strap on sensors and compete in an intense mental battle to see who is the most relaxed.
- VIEWPOINT STATION: Where you can examine sight and vision in unexpected ways. Use D -EYE to find out what your retina looks like, and experience colour blindness when you try on our simulation glasses.
- PINHOLE VIEWER: Learn how to make your own pinhole viewer and watch the world turn upside down.
- BADGE HACKING STATION: Create your own badge to take away as a souvenir from your visit. Take inspiration from our exhibitions to create your badge!
- INVISIBLE PHOTO BOOTH: A chance to dazzle your eyes and create an image where you will be seen and then unseen. Festival goers are invited to try on our identity disguising reflective clothing which reflects light back to the camera and conceals the image - the perfect garment for those who want to remain a mystery.
- TOG HACKERSPACE: Join TOG for a creative and hands-on workshop inspired by our exhibition SEEING.
- GROW YOUR OWN: Join us for a hands-on urban farming workshop held by Urban Farm’s Andrew Douglas.
- CLOUD PICKER: The resident coffee roasters at Science Gallery Dublin, demonstrates the art and science of home brewing, as well as taking you on a guided coffee tasting tour.
- SOUND PLAYGROUND (DkIT/SARC): Investigate and interact with a number of music and sound making tools including mini-synths, circuit-bent toys and experimental devices such as hacked tape machines. Connect these sounds to oscilloscope audio visualising tools to 'see' the shape of the sounds you’re creating, or drive a speaker cone covered with non-newtonian fluid!
- MAKESHOP: Our very own MAKESHOP are back in Mindfield this year. They'll be treating us to a number of different workshops that include a build your own LED torch, a Makey Makey workshop as well as a chance to turn old LPs into fully functioning clocks.
- FRACTAL PYRAMIDS: MAKESHOP will be running a build that will be ongoing throughout the two days. Help turn our tent into a geometric wonderland that will grow in size each day of the festival.
If you had five minutes on stage what would you say? What if you only got 20 slides and they rotated automatically after 15 seconds? Around the world, geeks have been putting together IGNITE events to present their answers on science, technology, art and society. Fastpaced, fun, thoughtprovoking, social, local, global Ignite is all of these and more. Hosted by Newstalk's Jess Kelly and featuring Anna Cosgrave, Richard Roche, Lynn Ruane, Brendan O'Dowd and Ann Claire Nolan, with more to be announced.
Join Andrew Douglas, creator of Urban Farm, as he chats to Jeff Pernell and Melissa Moore of Galactic Farms based in Montana about innovative urban agriculture projects from solar powered hydroponic greenhouses, to vertical barrel grow towers and potato pods.
This year we're bringing the nerdiest quiz on the road with an electrifying festival twist. How trivia savvy are you? Brush up on your general and not-so-general knowledge with our testing questions on science, pop culture and music. The stakes are high and reputations are at risk as only one team can be named champion! Four people per team and no smartphones.